The vim port needs a refresh

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Mon May 27 16:36:37 UTC 2013

On Mon, 27 May 2013 17:19:40 +0200
John Marino wrote:

> On 5/27/2013 16:34, RW wrote:
> >
> > It would hurt people with a slow connections who would end-up
> > having to download most of the patches twice. I've a lot more
> > sympathy with people in that situation than with someone who
> > doesn't cache and then complains it's slow.
>
> Trust me.
> If you get the wrong mirror, ...

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Unless something has changed
everyone tries the mirrors list in the same order. Have you set
something in make.conf to alter that? In particular
RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES is well known for poor speeds.

> Like 4 patches
> per minute slow.  You have no sympathy for somebody that has to
> download all 900+ patches from the beginning?

A little if it's the first time they've ever built vim on FreeBSD,
and they have have genuine good reason for not being able to wait an
extra minute.

> The "trick", of course, is to override MASTER_SITES in the
> environment, e.g. "make MASTER_SITES= fetch" and then force fetching
> from FreeBSD. Then it gets all the patches pretty quickly.

It looks to me like you've just proposed a more sensible solution:
change PATCH_SITES or MASTER_SITE_VIM to exclude slow servers and/or
bring the fast ones to the front of the list.

> The "slow" complaint is not trivial, it's very, very real.   Saying
> you haven't seen it doesn't make it less real, you probably just
> didn't sit there and watch it from patch#1.

No, it's because I've been using FreeBSD since before August 2010
when that patch was created.

I just tried deleting all the patches and refetching and it took 74
seconds, it's scarcely a major problem.