The vim port needs a refresh

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Mon May 27 13:06:20 UTC 2013

On Fri, 24 May 2013 17:23:18 -0400
Kenta Suzumoto wrote:

> - It fetches almost 700 patches from what seems like a dial-up
> connection in AUSTRALIA.
>
> You might as well be downloading a 1080p movie from a rock in the
> north pole, because that's about how fast it is. This can be very
> easily avoided by putting all the patches into a single tarball and
> hosting it anywhere decent. I've seen someone in ##freebsd on
> freenode handing out a tarball with all the patches many times, and
> everyone asks "why isn't this the default? why is some random guy
> giving me distfiles?" etc. Seems like a no-brainer.

I prefer it the way it is; those patch files are cached in the
distfiles directory, so only new patches need be downloaded. I can't
say I've ever noticed it being slow. If you roll them up into one file
the whole thing needs to be download every time a patch is added. If you
combine a tarball with individual newer patch, it's no better than the
current situation with caching.