Proposal: do not show up the dialog(1) by default?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sun May 26 21:17:37 UTC 2013

We should step back and "define the problem".

The problem IMHO is that we have optimized for users who wish to save
the maximum space on their systems, at the expense of users who want
to install and upgrade ports with the minimum fuss.

IMHO we should do the opposite.

I think the number of users that care about whether p5-Foo-Bar installs
its examples is zero.  And yet, those were the dialogs I was presented
last night on installing a 9.0 system with the latest ports tree.  This
seems wrong.

Surely we can figure out some global-settings-editor?  And, if a value
has been set by that tool, and a port's metavariables haven't changed,
skip the configuration dialog?

mcl