Proper way to access executable's "environment"?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sun May 26 18:06:32 UTC 2013

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 07:55:03PM +0200, Stefan Ehmann wrote:
> > So I have a couple of questions related to the above:
> > * Is the patch correct?...
>
> Should be fine. See environ(7) or
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/environ.html:
>
> "In addition, the following variable, which must be declared by the user
> if it is to be used directly: extern char **environ; "

Cool; thanks.

(Aside: I'd be happy to hear of plausible reasons the earlier approach
does not appear to fail in i386.  I'm suspecting some sort of
compatibilty shim -- which was jettisoned for amd64, probably quite
intentionally.)

> Including <stdlib.h> is not necessary to access the environ variable.

OK; I'll elide that from the patch (& re-test), then.  I'd rather not
add things gratuitously.

Thanks!

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Taliban: Evil men with guns afraid of truth from a 14-year old girl.