Proposal: do not show up the dialog(1) by default?

Vitaly Magerya vmagerya at gmail.com
Thu May 23 10:36:01 UTC 2013

John Marino wrote:
>>> I like the suggestion that if the dialog consists only of globally set
>>> options (NLS, DOC, etc) then it shouldn't appear by default.
>>
>> Except the cases when those options pull in additional dependencies.
>>
>> In those cases either the dialog should be shown, or the options should
>> be disabled by default.
>
> The issue is that _by definition_ these options are enabled by default.
> I'm not sure I agree that an always-enabled option should trigger a
> dialog just because it has dependencies.

My motivation is that some of those dependencies (especially for DOCS)
are quite big (docbook for example). Under no circumstances do I want to
waste hours of time building those and all of their dependencies.

So, again, silent DOCS/NLS/EXAMPLES when additional dependencies are
involved is very, very undesirable.

> Doesn't NLS have dependencies?

NLS does often mean gettext, yes.

> That would already negate the benefit greatly if this suggestion were
> followed.

If that is a concern, we can actually count how many ports will be
affected by such a policy. I expect the number not to be high.

For example there are only 13 ports with NLS in the whole 'lang'
category. Out of those 13, only 4 have no other options and will require
a config dialog under the policy I propose.