Proposal: do not show up the dialog(1) by default?

John Marino freebsdml at marino.st
Thu May 23 09:17:38 UTC 2013

On 5/23/2013 11:10, Ilya A. Arkhipov wrote:
> I think it is not good idea, because if user don't know regarding options in ports he should do a make config and if it not exist should do a make install in this case we have two action..
> Maybe other way for fix these frequent "popping" add needed options to make.conf

I like the suggestion that if the dialog consists only of globally set
options (NLS, DOC, etc) then it shouldn't appear by default.

I also think Ilya has a point in general -- how does one know that there
are options available to set in the case of default is "no pop?".  There
would have to be some sort of announcement that along the lines of "no
configuration found, using default settings" so the user would have some
sign.

Even if the configuration is found, it would still be nice to be
informed that a port has options (maybe part of pre-configure?)

John