Why does Samba requires 777 permissions on /tmp

Bob Eager rde at tavi.co.uk
Mon May 20 13:39:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, 20 May 2013 08:03:09 -0500
sindrome <sindrome at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like a step in the right direction.  How do I troubleshoot to
> figure out what application is appending/changing the value of PATH?

Nothing is. As far as I can see.

What I think is happening is that portupgrade is building and running
shell scripts in /tmp. It's running them with (in ruby):

  system('/tmp/script')             [roughly]

The ruby runtime is checking the *path-to-the-command* and THAT is what
it's complaining about.

Try setting PKG_TMPDIR (in pkgtools.conf) to some suitable non world
writable temporary directory.

I have an older ports tree on this machine or I'd try it myself. I had
to download the latest sources to check all this,