Why does Samba requires 777 permissions on /tmp

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun May 19 19:14:45 UTC 2013

On Sun, 19 May 2013 13:34:49 -0500
sindrome articulated:

> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 19 May 2013 16:52, "Jerry" <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > On Sun, 19 May 2013 09:57:52 -0500
> > > sindrome articulated:

> > > Same here. I have no idea where it is getting "tmp" from. At
> > > least it doesn't appear to be causing any problems.
> >
> > Is that with portupgrade too?
> >
> Chris,
>
> I'm not sure I understand your question.  Portupgrade barks about
> the /tmp directory being world writable. I pasted the exact errors
> earlier in this thread.  I looked in my path and can't find /tmp in
> there and can't figure how to get rid of ruby complaining unless I
> remove the writable permissions. When I do that my windows desktop
> can't authenticate to my samba server.  There has to be a root of
> this problem to make them both work.  Is there some other place
> portupgrade is having /tmp amended on without it being in my $PATH?

If I am not mistaken, portupgrade only started with this BS about 6
months ago after it, itself was updated. It might be something hard
coded by error into the program. I reported this once before to the
port maintainer <bdrewery at FreeBSD.org>; however, I never received a
response. Maybe I should file a PR against it.

--
Jerry ♔