Why does Samba requires 777 permissions on /tmp

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 19 06:07:13 UTC 2013

On 19/05/2013 03:56, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Your problem must be caused by something else. At least, I cannot
> remember to ever have seen /tmp with a different setting than 0777.

I hope you mean 1777 (drwxrwxrwt) there.  That sticky bit is important.
 Without it there are a number of nasty attack possibilities involving
things like using a race condition and craftily modifying a sym-link to
trick root into overwriting an important file.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.