WANTED: Tool to verify installed package/port consistancy

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed May 15 05:25:18 UTC 2013

In message <518E1A51.3020702 at cyberleo.net>, you wrote:

>On 05/10/2013 03:04 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
><snip>
>> pkg_sanity: ImageMagick-6.8.0.7_1: +CONTENTS file does not exist -- skipped
>> pkg_sanity: ORBit2-2.14.19: /usr/local/lib/libORBit-2.so: File failed MD5 checksum
>> pkg_sanity: ORBit2-2.14.19: /usr/local/lib/libORBit-imodule-2.so: File failed MD5 checksum
>> pkg_sanity: ORBit2-2.14.19: /usr/local/lib/libORBitCosNaming-2.so: File failed MD5 checksum
>> pkg_sanity: OpenEXR-1.7.1: /usr/local/lib/libIlmImf.so: File failed MD5 checksum
>> pkg_sanity: aalib-1.4.r5_6: /usr/local/lib/libaa.so: File failed MD5 checksum
><snip>
>
>Are these mismatches symlinks?

Some are.

>If so, are you checking the contents of
>the symlink (with, for instance, stat(1) or readlink(1)), or the
>contents of the file to which the symlink is referring?

The latter.

(I would have had to have done something special in order to compute the
md5 fo teh symlink itself, and I did not do so.  I have just now checked,
and my script is indeed getting the md5 of the files to which the various
symlinks refer.)

It is clear to me now that "pkg_info -g" is either skipping certain files
that are listed in the relevant +CONTENTS files or else it is computing the
MD5 checksums in an odd way.  I do not think that the latter possibility is
at all likely.

I will be looking at this more deeply as time permits.

Regards,
rfg