ports/119546

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Sat May 11 09:58:52 UTC 2013

On 05/10/13 15:50, b.f. wrote:

> I don't think so, other than the ports Makefiles.  With regard to
> bsd.openssl.mk, I was referring to:
>
> 59 .if defined(WITH_OPENSSL_BASE)
>
> ,,,
>
>       73 .if exists(${LOCALBASE}/lib/libcrypto.so)
>       74 check-depends::
>       75         @${ECHO_CMD} "Dependency error: this port wants the
> OpenSSL library from the FreeBSD"
>       76         @${ECHO_CMD} "base system. You can't build against it,
> while a newer"
>       77         @${ECHO_CMD} "version is installed by a port."
>       78         @${ECHO_CMD} "Please deinstall the port or undefine
> WITH_OPENSSL_BASE."
>       79         @${FALSE}
>       80 .endif

Thanks a lot; now I've got a clear picture.

> You can try to work around the problem by not using USE_OPENSSL, but
> instead adding the openssl dependencies, link line and rpath
> additions, etc. in the port Makefile. A number of ports used to do
> this, for various reasons.  However, this should only be done when
> necessary, to prevent the proliferation of ad hoc methods of using
> openssl in the ports tree, which makes maintenance more difficult.

Here's what I did:
# find /usr/ports -type f -exec grep -l OPENSS_PORT "{}" ";"

This showed very few ports really requiring openssl from ports, none of
which I had currently installed.

So I moved its libraries to /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/ and pkg_deleted
(-f) it. Newer compilations would pick up base, then.

A "portupgrade -Rf nss_ldap" later, I can once more use ssh.

ThunderBird still does not start, but I'll investigate later.

> A real solution (probably as good a solution as we can arrive at
> without investing a lot more time in patching many different ports, or
> fundamentally changing the way that we handle linking) would be to
> change the openssl port and bsd.openssl,mk to install the
> security/openssl libraries in a location other than ${LOCALBASE}/lib

I'm no expert, but I would vote for a solution to be found and this one
seems good to me.

  bye & Thanks
	av.