Cyrus IMAP upgrade

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Wed May 8 18:59:23 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 01:47:24PM +0200, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've got a medium-sized installation of Cyrus-IMAP 2.2 (~80 mailboxes,
> ~5000 folders, >1M mails).
> Due to OL2013 misbehaviours, I've been asked to upgrade it to 2.4, so
> I'll feature XLIST.
>
> Considering the setup is a simple one (one partition, no murder, no
> other fancies) and having waded through the generic upgrade instructions
> (http://cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.12/install-upgrade.php), is
> there something FreeBSD specific I should be aware of?
>
> Is it just a matter of pkg_deleting the old one and installing the new
> version?
>
> Of course I'll do a run on a test server, but any other warning is
> appreciated.

I can't think of anything that should be FreeBSD specific.  I would want
to make sure I had converted to skiplist or flat databases before doing
the conversion so that you don't get hung up by different bdb version
issues.

Also you will need to reconstruct all of the mailboxes to the indexes
can be converted.  Hopefully you can start that when your server will
have time to get most of the mailboxes converted before the users start
pounding the serves.  That just depends on your hardware.  With 80
accounts, you may not need to worry about it.

I started using Cyrus-IMAPd in the 2.3.x series.  I've not dealt with
2.2.  The upgrade from 2.3 to 2.4 was pretty painless.  We did not
get all of the mailboxes reconstructed before users came in Monday
morning.  But we did not hear many slowness complaints.  We had about
5000 mail accounts.  I am not sure how many folders there were. Probably
an average of 3 to 6 per account.

Our IMAP spool is on ZFS.

lambert at lambertfam.org