nginx SPDY and openssl

The BSD Dreamer beastie at tardisi.com
Tue May 7 19:56:48 UTC 2013

So, with the new nginx, I saw SPDY.  Being curious I turned it on.  It said
"(SSL req.)", but it wasn't obvious that it mean that it meant openssl from
ports, which was going to break everything else that uses SSL on my system.

At least everything that needs to verify certificates, because ports OPENSSL
doesn't have such things, lives in a different place and apparently wants
things in a different format that ca_root_nss (since I had tried copying that
over....I didn't dig further, since it was 1am and I wanted to crash...so I
removed the openssl port and rebuilt all the ports that it said depended on
it.  (unchecked SPDY in nginx config first, of course)

This morning I found other ports (such as subversion and virtualbox-ose)
that weren't working, because libssl.so.8 was missing.  So, ended up just
rebuilding all the ports that been updated since openssl had appeared.
Probably overkill....but quicker than checking each executable....

   Name: Lawrence "The Dreamer" Chen   Email: beastie at tardisi.com
  Snail: 1530 College Ave, A5           Blog: http://lawrencechen.net
         Manhattan, KS 66502-2768      Phone: 785-789-4132