Ports should provide knobs disabling unwanted network services

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 26 18:37:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 07:15:24PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013, Beeblebrox wrote:
>
> > Many ports, (specially the KDE-related ones) provide no option to disable
> > network-related options. Usually these are things like samba-client,
> > Avahi-mDNS* (with variants), and the like. Gnome usually provides a choice
> > to disable gnome-vfs.
> >
> > I really don't understand why such ports enable those services by default,
> me too. I don't think KDE is for anything serious but still it should just
> be disabled by default and enabled at user choice.
>
> No special knobs for disabling should exist, but for enabling.

It is not because a program is linked against a library that it uses it for
real. I don't know much kde, but I'm pretty sure I have a checkbox somewhere
saying "activate mdns" or "deactivate mdns" you can have it installed on your
system but not actually starting it.

I general I do think ports/packages should offer as default what may fits the
general needs easily. in this case if you are free to use/not use it via a
checkbox, then the default right now is sane because another user with different
needs will just have to click to activate it without having to build his own
packages.

regards,
Bapt