LEGAL variable to capture generic issues

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Mon Mar 25 14:26:44 UTC 2013

On 25 March 2013 10:08, Alex Dupre <ale at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Eitan Adler ha scritto:
>> RESTRICTED does not cover "special permission granted to distribute"
>> and other not-a-restriction things.
>
> And why do we need them? RESTRICTED is for !distributable, exactly as
> the LEGAL file. We can improve RESTRICTED to automatically generate LEGAL.

The LEGAL file is for a broader set of things than just RESTRICTED.
It covers "no commercial use" which is NO_CDROM but not RESTRICTED and
it covers "normally something else, but we have special permission to
use the GPLv3".  We have no way to express the latter in ports in a
usable manner.

> For particular licenses we already have a controversial LICENSE framework.

I have no comment on the framework.  It has many issues, but is not
related to this discussion.

--
Eitan Adler