cannot open tty-output

Marco Steinbach coco at executive-computing.de
Sun Mar 24 23:38:06 UTC 2013

Michael Gmelin schrieb:
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 23:40:47 +0400
> "Eugene V. Boontseff" <eugene at home.wdc.spb.ru> wrote:
>
>> *Marco Steinbach wrote:
>> *
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> after installing dialog4ports, I'm getting the following behaviour
>>> on each 8.3-STABLE I tried:
>>>
>>> # jexec <JID> /bin/tcsh
>>> # cd <SomePortDir>
>>> # make config
>>>
>>> cannot open tty-output
>>> ===> Options unchanged
>>> #
>>>
>>> Regardless, if I'm logged in on the console or connect to the host
>>> via ssh.
>>>

>>> I've also tried on 8.4-BETA1 (r248617), but got the same behaviour.
>>>
>>> Anyone else experiencing this ?
>> Yes, I have also experienced this.
>> 8.3-STABLE r244863
>> Only if i do a "make config" in a jail.
>> Outside the jail all goes well.
>>> MfG CoCo
>
> This problem doesn't exist in 9.1. On 8 it only happens when you
> jexeced into the jail (ssh should be ok). As a workaround you can run
> tmux (sysutils/tmux) within your jail and install ports from within the
> terminal multiplexer (screen will do as well, but is also heavier).

dialog4ports(1) uses stdout for passing back results, where the former
dialog(1) used stderr.  I reverted the new behaviour back to the
previous one, which fixed the problem for me.  I don't know about other
implications, though.

Ilya (author of dialog4ports) is aware of the problem and having a look
at it.

I'm glad that other people are running into this, also.  I was beginning
to think, that there's something fundamentally wrong with the way our
8.x jails are configured.

MfG CoCo