Updating curl

olli hauer ohauer at gmx.de
Sun Mar 24 12:09:20 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-24 12:04, Jerry wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 22:08:16 -0400
> Robert Huff articulated:
>
>>>  The port version of curl is "7.24.0_2". On February
>>>  6th. curl-7.29.0 was released. Is there any possibility that this
>>>  port might be updated.
>>
>> 	Of course.
>> 	However: my system alone has around two dozen ports that list
>>
>> curl as a dependency.  No update will happen without sufficient
>> testing to make sure there's no breakage.
>> 	Volunteers for testing should probably contact the maintainer.
>
> That is an excuse, not a reason. If the maintainer, who has not bothered
> to reply, were to issue an experimental or delve port of curl, I
> would be happy to try it. The fact that curl is a dependent of
> numerous ports is also irrelevant. There are ports that are in far
> greater demand on the system that get updated in less than a year, and
> multiple versions, time.
>
> There have been several versions released since the one in the port's
> system and over a years time. The KDE and GNOME team often state why
> they are not updating a particular port and what to expect in its
> regards. If the curl maintainer either has lost interest in maintaining
> the port or has a specific reason for not keeping it relatively
> current, then I think he|she|they have an obligation to at least make
> that know to the FreeBSD community. I can totally understand a
> maintainer walking away from a port, it happens here all the time.
> However, if the maintainer no longer desires to keep the port current,
> it would behoove them to state so, so that another individual who might
> have the knowledge and time to do so can take over maintainer ship.
>
> I am not upset at the maintainer, I just want to know what the future
> of the curl port is. I use it extensively. Your statement regarding
> "testing" is a non-starter Robert. Other versions of this port were
> released sans any formal testing that I am aware of. Plus, the
> maintainer, again to the best of my knowledge, has not offered any of
> the versions of curl issued since the port's version, for public
> testing. It appears to me that the port is abandoned.
>
> We have ports like "Postfix" that are updated in virtual real time and
> then we have ports that seem to orphaned. It is too bad we cannot find
> a nice happy medium.

Just a quick question.
How many ports do you maintain?

I have to ask this question because it looks like you are always coming
up with the same copy pasted text snippets (do you have them as text
blocks in vim or emacs?)

If you are willing to do the maintenance of an actual curl port please
come up with an patch and request maintainer ship.