Unable to install new dialog for ports on FreeBsd 7.0

Bryan Drewery bdrewery at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 21 12:17:24 UTC 2013

On 3/21/2013 5:21 AM, Peter Olsson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:49:29AM +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

>>> There was no file named patch-Makefile. I created new file with contents as
>>> given by you, but still getting same error.

>>> will
>>> (replace
>>> compatibility

>>> I repeated same steps on March 13th on some other box and everything works.
>>> Introduction of new dialog created problem. Steps, I followed to get latest
>>> ports:
>>> # portsnap fetch
>>> # mv /usr/ports /usr/ports_old
>>> # portsnap extract
>>>

>>> --
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Vikas Mahajan
>>
>> I just tested on a 7.x it works out of the box. I don't know what is happening
>> on your system. or maybe portsnap for unknown reason is giving a wrong old
>> version.
>>
>> regards,
>> Bapt
>
> I get the sqrt error while trying to install dialog4ports on
> all my servers that are still running 7.4. I try installing

7.4 is EOL. If you want to continue using it you will need to use
RELEASE_7_EOL. head is not supported.

> it like this:
> portsnap fetch
> portsnap update
> portmaster ports-mgmt/dialog4ports
>
> I did this yesterday and also right now, same error:
>
> cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe  -I/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/dialog4ports/work/dialog-1.1-20120706 -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED -Wsystem-headers -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -W -Wno-unused-parameter -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wno-uninitialized -Wno-pointer-sign  -o dialog4ports dialog4ports.o mixedlist.o arrows.o buttons.o dlg_keys.o help.o inputstr.o mouse.o mousewget.o textbox.o rc.o trace.o ui_getc.o util.o version.o -lncursesw
> util.o(.text+0x2ead): In function `dlg_auto_size':
> : undefined reference to `sqrt'
> *** Error code 1
> 1 error
> *** Error code 1
>
> And, for the record, I'm really pi**ed off about the way that
> this clear POLA violation was introduced without mention in
> ports UPDATING. I ran portmaster upgrades in several servers
> (7.4, 8.3 and 9.0) yesterday, and all of them just skipped
> every config dialog with this error:
> env: /usr/local/bin/dialog4ports: No such file or directory

UPDATING is for *manual port changes needed for upgrading*. This *was*
documented in CHANGES which is for ports infrastructure updates.

It's not fair to call a bug a POLA violation. It should be fixed now.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery