[CFT] New dialog for ports

Daniel Nebdal dnebdal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 00:27:48 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ilya A. Arkhipov wrote dialog4ports which has just been added into the ports
> tree ports-mgmt/dialog4ports, this is intended to be a replacement for dialog(1)
> designed specifically for the options, in particular for optionsng.
>
> It uses libdialog (recent version) and extend it with a new widget able to deal
> with both normal and radio options in the same window.
>
> dialog4ports will live forever in ports so that it can easily be updated and get
> support for new features on all supported arches at the same time.
>
> It bundles libdialog on FreeBSD versions that doesn't have a recent libdialog in
> base (read 8.x)
>
> dialog4ports also support a new feature: it has a help dialog to be able to
> print a human readable help text if possible.
>
> Here is a patch to the ports tree that makes it use dialog4ports by default.
> What it does is:
> When make config is requested and dialog4ports is not installed yet the ports
> tree will install dialog4ports first.
>
> New feature for maintainer, if a pkg-help file is found inside the port
> directory then dialog will show to the user a help file is available et propose
> him to hint F1 or ^E to show the said help file
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/d4p.diff
>
> Please test!
>
> regards,
> Bapt

I just found a niggle:
I have LANG=en_US.UTF-8 , NCURSES_NO_UTF8_ACS=1, TERM=xterm, and I'm
using putty to connect to a FreeBSD-10 machine running a snapshot from
february with ports from an hour ago. Putty is set to Translation:
UTF-8, and "use unicode line drawing code points".

With those settings, dialog gives me nice line drawing characters (for
some reason). If I unset NCURSES_NO_UTF8_ACS, all boxes are drawn
using random letters instead. (jlmqx, to be exact.)

The problem: ports config dialogs are _always_ drawn with the same
random letters, and I haven't found any setting or combination of
settings that works.

This is probably more of a mis-configuration on my side than a
dialog4ports problem, but still - it's slightly odd that it acts
different than dialog. :)