Gnustep group

Waitman Gobble uzimac at da3m0n8t3r.com
Sun Mar 17 23:37:42 UTC 2013

Chris Petrik <cpet at sdf.org> wrote ..
> On 03/17/2013 04:23 PM, Waitman Gobble wrote:
> > John Marino <freebsdml at marino.st> wrote ..

> >> FWIW - All the GNUstep ports build fine in DPorts (ports on DragonFly).
> >>    However, the compiler uses is the base compiler, which is GCC 4.7 with
> >> ObjC built-in.
> >>
> >> That would imply setting USE_GCC=4.6+ would "fix" gnustep on ports, no?
> >>
> >> John

> > Maybe it will work, I tried with gcc48. One of the gnustep ports is stuck on
> trying to build gcc4.2 for some reason.. I don't recall which one at the moment,
> i think it was base?
> >
> I would try the next minimum build which is 4.4 if that works then add
> in 4.4+ etc.. but i havent messed with it yet.

Oh wait, I remember reading this now. I would not 'count on' GCC in ports working with GNUstep. But maybe it does..

 Which Compiler Should I Use?

'...Unfortunately, the GCC team has not invested much effort in Objective-C in the last few years and it currently lags behind Apple's version by a significant amount.'

    + Apple's fork of GCC 4.2.1
    + LLVM-GCC
    + Clang

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/ObjC2_FAQ

I am not sure that base clang has objective c support, it might but if so it's got some kind of issue. The newer version in ports lang/clang works perfectly, just have to make sure libobjc2 is built with clang in /usr/local/ and not /usr

--
Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA