OPTIONSng: Overide options in /var/db/ports/*/options ?

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 17 18:49:38 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 07:27:56PM +0100, Marco Steinbach wrote:
> Chris Rees wrote on 17.03.2013 17:15:

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Exactly my point.  Currently, with OPTIONSng there seems to be no way to
> > overide anything in /var/db/ports/*/options.
> >> I find it irritating, that I no longer can be sure about options in
> > /etc/make.conf.  I have to check/reconfigure to make sure.
> >> As much as I like OPTIONSng (especially in combination with
> > dialog4ports), this is one thing I'd very much like OPTIONSng to relearn:
> > Enforce options regardless of what's in a ports options file.
> >
> > No, that's a bad idea.  It's more confusing to have options not being set
> > that are checked in the OPTIONS dialog.
> >
> > Setting those in make.conf sets defaults, and allows them to be overridden
> > in individual ports.
>
> Let's say I never want CUPS, X11, EXAMPLES and DOCS, regardless of what
> I willingly or accidentially configured in an OPTIONS dialog (or is
> defaulted to in a ports Makefile), either because I didn't understand
> the dependancy of a choice, I fat-fingered something or someone helps me
> configuring something, and wants to make sure I get it right:
>
> OPTIONS_UNSET_FORCE= CUPS X11 EXAMPLES DOCS
>
> Same goes for the complementary case of having options set forcibly,
> either system-wide or per port:
>
> particularport_SET_FORCE= EXAMPLES DOCS
>
> I'd set these in /etc/make.conf, and be done for good.
>
> I have a local patch for that kind of behaviour, but wanted to check for
> possible alternatives besides the beaten path, before bothering bapt at .

The thing is half of people wants the /var/db/*/options to be the last word, the
other half want the behaviour you are exposing, so getting a final word that
will satisfy everyone is hard.

I personnally really dislike /var/db/port/*/options and the dialog :).

The new option framework has been design to:
1/ respect the same behaviour has it used to be before: /var/db/port/*/options
has the final word.

2/ provide the ability to users to be able to tune the whole system in a
consistent way.

3/ provide a way to totally disable the dialog thing (NO_DIALOG) so that you
can't save a option file by mistake.

What we can probably do in the end is provide a new macro to totally in all
cases ignore /var/db/port/*/options.

Would that satisfy your needs?

regards,
Bapt