[CFT] New dialog for ports

Marco Steinbach coco at executive-computing.de
Sun Mar 17 14:20:18 UTC 2013

Baptiste Daroussin wrote on 14.03.2013 10:55:
> Hi all,
>
> Ilya A. Arkhipov wrote dialog4ports which has just been added into the ports
> tree ports-mgmt/dialog4ports, this is intended to be a replacement for dialog(1)
> designed specifically for the options, in particular for optionsng.
>
> It uses libdialog (recent version) and extend it with a new widget able to deal
> with both normal and radio options in the same window.

I very much like this from the few ports I tried it with for now.

Having UI elements in a config dialog behave like real radio groups is
great, separating them from each other with horizontal lines adds
greatly to readability and usabilty from where I sit.

Being able to specifiy a descriptive text to be displayed in the heading
of radio option groups is a very welcome feature, since that'll give me
a chance to be more concise about what the user will get from the group.

I think 'make showconfig' should learn to display these, also.

Albeit being a rather small change, I quite like the use of a small 'X'
letter for ticked options.

> dialog4ports will live forever in ports so that it can easily be updated and get
> support for new features on all supported arches at the same time.
>
> It bundles libdialog on FreeBSD versions that doesn't have a recent libdialog in
> base (read 8.x)
>
> dialog4ports also support a new feature: it has a help dialog to be able to
> print a human readable help text if possible.

That's also very useful.  I thought about asking for having long lines
being automatically reflowed to screen width, but this would probably
open a small can of worms.  Anyway, help is supposed to give hints, not
to replace documentation, and using fmt(1) on pkg-help before submission
is not exactly rocket science.

> Here is a patch to the ports tree that makes it use dialog4ports by default.
> What it does is:
> When make config is requested and dialog4ports is not installed yet the ports
> tree will install dialog4ports first.
>
> New feature for maintainer, if a pkg-help file is found inside the port
> directory then dialog will show to the user a help file is available et propose
> him to hint F1 or ^E to show the said help file
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/d4p.diff
>
> Please test!

Nice work -- much appreciated :)

MfG CoCo
PS: There's a typo in the message asking for the dialog4ports
installation.  It reads '... installed to you want ...', but probably
should read '... installed, do you want ...'.