net/mtr failed to build

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Sat Mar 16 04:32:16 UTC 2013

The breakage you see in curses.c is caused by IPv6 support being
"mandatory", as a result of the software authors/committers being
idiots on numerous levels.

The rollout of mtr 0.84 is, basically, completely buggered for the BSDs.
The software authors should be utterly ashamed.

mtr 0.84 was released roughly a month ago.  Around 0.83, glib became a
mandatory dependency, and its implementation done stupidly/badly:

https://github.com/traviscross/mtr/commits/v0.84

This affected/affects OS X as well as the other BSDs as I said.

If we look at HEAD, we find that the idiocy has been cleaned up:

https://github.com/traviscross/mtr/commits/master

More specifically:

https://github.com/traviscross/mtr/commit/8348cfdc39694f0ada686b8277b75b3f72c6a47f#configure.ac

Note the introduction of a --without-glib configure option.  And note
the commit reason too -- "make building work on OS X", a.k.a. fix the
idiocy committed prior to 0.84.

The IPv6 stuff got fixed in HEAD as well.  It's hard to see (you gotta
dig), but it's there.  Look around like 318:

https://github.com/traviscross/mtr/blob/master/curses.c

I also like this:

https://github.com/traviscross/mtr/commit/b32f0bd4295d32c2fd87c36f3c8a0d00fa53e660#README

""The new situation"" -- uh, okay, as if readers would know what this
means/is/whatever.  Gut feeling tells me it has something to do with
either neglect or administrator/author drama.

Bottom line:

The FreeBSD port should be rolled back to 0.82 until 0.85 or newer comes
out.  Making diffs for all this crap is not worth it; 0.84 should be
nuked from orbit.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |