portdowngrade(CVS) deprecated -> alternative for portsnap(8) usage

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 20:00:17 UTC 2013

On 6 Mar 2013 19:15, <rank1seeker at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=203241
> > >
> > > Will it be transformed to checkout via SVN, only origins we need, or
will
> > > it be dumped from ports tree as obsolete.
> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > Hey,
> >
> > I rewrote it in sh, quite simply because I thought that c++ was insane
> > for such simple code.
> >
> > I'm afraid it doesn't quite have the same behaviour, but it's still
> > very easy to use.
> >
> > Please let me know if there's something you desperately miss about the
> > old version.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> Thanks for your effort!
>
> # portdowngrade audio/oss
>     Listed all revisions
> # portdowngrade audio/oss r300895
>     I've picked one from the past
>
> However:
> # portsnap fetch update
>     Is blind to this change and fails to update it back, to it's latest
version

> portdowngrade should also alter/update portsnap's DB

Portdowngrade now simply checks out the port to your current directory; if
you run it in ~, you simply cd $portname.

I wouldn't recommend the old behaviour of downgrading in place like that;
it significantly complicates many things, including svn conflicts and
portsnap update maybe overwriting it, maybe not.

I view it as a tool for testing older versions/reverting until a fix is
issued.

Chris