Using RUN_DEPENDS := ${BUILD_DEPENDS} is now a bug

Bryan Drewery bdrewery at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 4 15:41:34 UTC 2013

On 3/3/2013 7:37 PM, Eitan Adler wrote:
> Some time ago ("2012-01-21 17:40:15 UTC") I committed a change which
> converted all uses of
>
> BUILD_DEPENDS= ${RUN_DEPENDS}
> BUILD_DEPENDS:= ${RUN_DEPENDS}
>
> Writing:
>
> ====
>   At the moment 1385 ports use BUILD_DEPENDS= ${RUN_DEPENDS} and 450
>   ports use BUILD_DEPENDS:= ${RUN_DEPENDS}. This patch fixes ports that are
>   currently broken. This is a temporary measure until we organically stop using
>   := or someone(s) spend a lot of time changing all the ports over.
>
>   Explicit duplication > := > = and this just moves ports one step to the left
> ====
>
> With the introduction of devel/ccache support this is now a more critical issue:

Note that this behavior of accidental run depends exists before
WITH_CCACHE_BUILD was introduced. Many features have this problem.

One specific simple example is USE_CMAKE.

You can see around 100 cases of this in Mk/:

# grep "BUILD_DEPENDS+=" Mk/*

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery