pkgng info command: -d overrides -r?

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 4 11:40:42 UTC 2013

CCed to pkg at FreeBSD.org where the discussion deserves to be :)

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 02:21:04AM -0800, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> With pkg_info, I can get a list of ports requiring and depended on by a
> given port by doing `pkg_info -rR`.  In pkgNG, the equivalent would be
> `pkg info -dr`, but there appears to be a problem giving -d and -r at
> the same time.  For example:
>
> # pkg info -r postgresql-client-9.2.3
> postgresql-client-9.2.3 is required by:
> postgresql-server-9.2.3
>
> # pkg info -d postgresql-client-9.2.3
> postgresql-client-9.2.3 depends on:
> pkgconf-0.8.9
> libiconv-1.14
> libxml2-2.7.8_5
> gettext-0.18.1.1
>
> So the output of -dr should be something like this:
> # pkg info -dr postgresql-client-9.2.3
> postgresql-client-9.2.3 depends on:
> pkgconf-0.8.9
> libiconv-1.14
> libxml2-2.7.8_5
> gettext-0.18.1.1
> postgresql-client-9.2.3 is required by:
> postgresql-server-9.2.3
>
> But instead I get this:
>
> # pkg info -dr postgresql-client-9.2.3
> postgresql-client-9.2.3 depends on:
> pkgconf-0.8.9
> libiconv-1.14
> libxml2-2.7.8_5
> gettext-0.18.1.1
>
> # pkg info -rd postgresql-client-9.2.3
> postgresql-client-9.2.3 depends on:
> pkgconf-0.8.9
> libiconv-1.14
> libxml2-2.7.8_5
> gettext-0.18.1.1
>
> It looks like pkg ignores -r if -d is given, but the two shouldn't be
> exclusive.  Am I missing something?

No you are missing nothing in fact we haven't handled yet options multual
exclusion.

I haven't thought that anyway one will do a pkg info -rd so I didn't test what
could be happening here :)

thanks for reporting, definitly something to work on, don't know yet what should
be done here:
either say "hey you can't pass -r and -d at the same time" which would be the
easy fix :) or output things like you suggested which will be less easy

regards,
Bapt