pkgng seems to be out of date?

Ben Laurie ben at links.org
Tue Jun 25 10:56:47 UTC 2013

On 25 June 2013 11:40, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 11:36:07AM +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:

>> > That is how the ports tree works for eons, and that can't be fixed until we can
>> > totally get rid if pkg_install (to many corner egdes) pkg_install to work
>> > properly needs to track fully direct and indirect dependencies, pkg does not,
>> > but because the ports tree still need to be compatible with pkg_install and
>> > lots of people are still using all habits from the pkg_install time, it is very
>> > hard to remove this right now.)
>> >
>> > But yes for sure this "feature" will get removed :))
>>
>> So are you saying that pkg includes indirect dependencies, while ports do not?
>>
> Yes
>> But that doesn't explain why pkg says tcl85 and ports says tcl86....
>
> That is probably a bug of run-depends not discovering you have tcl85 installed
> so getting to the default tcl for its dependency which is tcl86.

I actually have both installed, so I think the bug is in pkg. I'd like
to remove ports I don't need but pkg won't let me remove tcl85, which
I think I don't really need...

How can I force pkg to rebuild its dependencies? Is it even possible?

Is there any way for pkg to check the integrity of its database?