[HEADS UP] switch default xorg version in 9.1 and later

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Thu Jun 20 17:13:01 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 09:00:57PM +0200, Niclas Zeising wrote:
> Hi!
> It is time to switch the default version of xorg on FreeBSD 9.1 and
> later, including CURRENT.
> In general this means better support for modern hardware, especially
> intel hardware, at the cost of support for some legacy hardware.
> The old version will still be around, and be the default for FreeBSD
> releases prior to 9.1, it is also possible to get the old version by
> setting WITHOUT_NEW_XORG= in /etc/make.conf.
> The attached patch will make the switch, and I intend to commit it ASAP
> unless something major shows up.  The patch is also available at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~zeising/xorg-switch.diff

Could you please make setting WITH_NEW_XORG additionally a function
of the architecture and not enable it for sparc64? The update to
Xorg 7.7 already broke support for ATI graphics with the _old_ Xorg
server there for reasons still unknown. Last time I gave WITH_NEW_XORG
a try I fixed all build errors on !x86 as good as I could but it blew
X on sparc64 totally out of the water, including causing bizarre crashes
of the X server even when using an UPA- rather than a PCI-based graphics
card. Generally, support for Intel hardware isn't relevant on sparc64
and sooner or later everything AMD/ATI that is not Radeon likely will
be declared "legacy".

Marius