www/rubygem-passenger now requires bash?

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 20 07:17:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 02:03:13PM -0500, James wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
> > I totally agree. Plus, perhaps the port can be modified to use "env"
> > to locate bash; ie, "\usr\bin\env bash". I use it all the time for
> > shell scripts that I write for various systems and it hasn't failed
> > me yet.
>
>     Aye. bapt@ is working on a solution for this. I'm not sure where
>     it's at right now, but it looks really handy. He's proposing a
>     framework that automatically fixes the path in shebangs. It's less
>     fragile than env(1) when dealing with daemons—those start up with
>     a stock path unless you change /etc/rc or related.
>
>     I run into this problem sometimes too. I build ports to a
>     non-standard prefix so anything that hard-codes /usr/local is
>     apparent. :) At the moment I patch or substitute the scripts which
>     works fine, but bapt's solution is better.

It is committed and available in the ports tree right now via: USES= shebangfix.

But here it is another problem, apparently the reason for bash is that upstream
expect it to parse .bashrc where they seems to recommand some people to put
configuration variables. IMHO, someone that knows a bit how passenger works
should contact them and tell them they could use for instance .profile instead
of .bashrc and always run /bin/sh instead of bash, I haven't dig the problem at
all, but it doesn't seem like they really use bash only feature or anything
else.

regards,
Bapt