[HEADS UP] switch default xorg version in 9.1 and later

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 19 11:09:17 UTC 2013

--
> Niclas Zeising
> FreeBSD x11 team

> PS.  Please respect reply-to, to avoid too much cross posting.

Now I am a bit confused, should it be x11 at freebsd.org or freebsd-x11 at freebsd.org, or is one an alias for the other?

Anyway, my concern was some complications in running the newer Xorg with Intel graphics.

There was the danger that it might not be possible to go to text console after going into X, so I have questions on how to stay with the graphical interface and not go back to text console.  If this belongs on another thread, feel free to change the subject to "Xorg acrobatics".

My question is how to go into X in such a way that there can be multiple users simultaneously logged in, root and nonroot, and all users have access to graphic applications (Mozilla Seamonkey for instance).  I also want to be able to switch to or restart with a different window manager without going to a text console in between; this might require closing all applications and logging out.  I don't really want to use gdm, kdm or xdm if I can help it.  I don't think xdm would work anyway.

My previous attempt with the new Xorg and KMS produced a completely nonrunnable X, immediately crashed, requiring Reset button, and I had a dilly of a time going back to the older Xorg.  I might this time have an alternate xorg.conf with Driver="vesa" for fallback so as to retain access to Xorg if the new Xorg bombs out with Intel driver: haven't tested this but hope it would work.

Tom