svn: E175002: REPORT of '/ports/!svn/me': Could not send request:

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jun 18 11:44:24 UTC 2013

Hello.

I'm fighting with a very strange problem on a box that is resembled of
quite modern hardware.

The /usr/ports folder is a dedicated UFS2 partition, I use SVN to
update the ports tree. On this specific box (6 core Intel Core i7-3940K
with 32 GB of RAM) I receive very often this error:

>>> Updating /usr/ports using Subversion
cd /usr/ports; /usr/local/bin/svn update
Updating '.':
svn: E175002: REPORT of '/ports/!svn/me': Could not send request:
Operation not permitted (http://svn.freebsd.org) *** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports

Another box nearby, comprised from oldish Core2Duo hardware, attached
to the same network, such an error never occurs.

I have no idea whats going on here. Since I tried to swap network
cabling (I suspected the network to be the faulty part) and changing
the socket where the box is attached to the LAN and got never a
salvation of the problem, I suspect the hardware of the box to have
some trouble.

I realise that disk drive access on this specific box is quite "bumpy",
although the box is fairly equipted with fast hardware, even modern WD
Caviar BLACK harddrives (which are supposed to be fast).

Maybe someone can shed some light on the fault with the subversion port
update so I can investigate a bit further.

Thanks,
Oliver