Rebuild all ports for perl minor version update? UPDATED

Jeffrey Bouquet jeffreybouquet at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 17 00:37:43 UTC 2013

Edited inline correction

--- On Sun, 6/16/13, Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Rebuild all ports for perl minor version update?
To: freebsd-ports at freebsd.org
Date: Sunday, June 16, 2013, 2:52 PM

--- On Sun, 6/16/13, Thomas Mueller <mueller6724 at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6724 at bellsouth.net>
> Subject: Rebuild all ports for perl minor version update?
> To: freebsd-ports at freebsd.org

> So now I do the massive portmaster upgrade and am stopped by
> silly little things, like a conflict between the old
> transmission-gtk2 and the newer version, and later gcc can't
> make clean because of checksum errors.  It didn't know
> to deinstall the old transmission-gtk2?
> Tom

Provided your pkg_tools still exist the following could be useful, I've haphazardly
got it running for several hours (.tbz are present from another machine for
portmaster in portmaster-download...).
Sometimes it freezes, but cntl-c it restarts again ( A directory had disappeared
upon its port reinstall, but the CLI continues .)

cd /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.12.4
for i in $(find . -type d), do
find . -type f | xargs -J % pkg_which | xargs -J % portmaster -d -B -P -i -x gcc-4.7.3.20130323 -R % && cd /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.12.4 && pkgdb -u
EDIT
"do find $i ..."
EDIT 2
I had to delete for the duration ports such as PDL which insisted on continual
reinstall
EDIT 3
finally had to delete several deprecated/broken (p5-Lucene.. p5-Test-Block...)
OTHERWISE
it ran many hours continually with many cntl-c which did not actually halt it,
just its subprocess at the time.
END  EDITS

Note that only a template to modify-then-test, [ I ran it, it started to update too
much, I might have modified it more, OR maybe it restarted as intended upon
cntl-c the first time.  Additionally, the first part (the -type d line) does not show in
the history of the command, so I cannot be sure of more than one thing in that
command.
Howsoever, it has been running over an hour with only occaisional freezes,
restarting upon cntl-c without reentering the command, and may be useful
for someone more expert in shell mechanisms than I to use to craft an
all-inclusive python-after-upgrade, perl-after-upgrade, ruby-after-upgrade
shell script(s)...
Several weeks before I can test it on another machine, am out of time.

J. Bouquet

[It is certainly working better than ANY instance I ever ran a
perl-after-upgrade,... so I apologize for the inexact replication of it in this
email. ]