Rebuild all ports for perl minor version update?

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 01:16:50 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 3:12 AM, Thomas Mueller
<mueller6724 at bellsouth.net>wrote:

> from my priginal post:
>
> I see in the $PORTSDIR/UPDATING file that perl has been updated.
>
> perl5.16 has been updated from 5.16.2 to 5.16.3 .
>
> Since this is only (?) a minor-version update, why should it be necessary
> to upgrade all ports that depend on perl?
>
> portmaster -r perl
>
> In that case, why didn't they go to perl 5.18?
>
> Since so many ports depend on perl, and png too, maybe they should have
> updated perl and png (to 1.6.x) at the same time, then two massive
> portmaster or portupgrade runs could have been done together, as one even
> bigger portmaster or portupgrade run?
>
> John Marino responded:
>
> > According to OpenBSD's Marc Espie on a pkgsrc list, a lot of
> > established scripts will break on perl 5.18.  Apparently it is not
> > highly backwards compatible.
>
> > A large % of the perl packages would cease to build if they just moved
> > to 5.18.  A minor upgrade is definitely better.
>
> But then why must all FreeBSD ports that depend on perl be rebuilt for a
> minor-version upgrade, 5.16.2 to 5.16.3?
>
> Tom

They don't really need to be re-built, but it is the safest way to go. I
never go that way as he risk is EXTREMELY low and the time savings are HUGE.

I just posted a much quicker way in the thread on Broken SNMP::Info.

Start with "portmaster p5-". Then go check on the remaining files (not
directories) under /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/OLD_PERL_VERSION and
re-build the ports that installed them (pkg_info -W FILENAME to find them).

Also, the changes to the perl ports were for the exact purpose of
eliminating the future need to do these rebuilds for minor version updates.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com