[CFH] FreeBSD 10 and ports

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 19:22:01 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 02:50:03PM +0800, Martin Wilke wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> As we all know FreeBSD 10 brings a new compiler along, and for that we need to get ports on the right
> track. I have done several exp-runs on the current src and we still have a lot of fallouts. We
> would like to ask you to have a look [1] at the failed ports and help to fix them. We will start this week
> an i386 exp-run to see how the status is.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> - Martin on behalf of portmgr
>
> [1]http://pointyhat-west.isc.freebsd.org/errorlogs/amd64-10-exp-latest/

Didn't a sort of consensus when switching to clang for base was
discussed, was that ports would start use a port-provided version of gcc
? The adoption of the ports gcc was stalled due to the unability to make
exp-runs, AFAIK.

What you are proposing is de-facto forking the whole open-source code
base. This cannot work, and in fact steals the FreeBSD resources for
something which has absolutely no relevance for FreeBSD project.

Ports should not be forced to use clang, either a ports gcc work
should be finished, or cc in HEAD switched back to gcc.  This is
de-facto blocker for the 10.0.