www/rubygem-passenger now requires bash?

Steve Wills swills at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 11 14:04:33 UTC 2013

> I'm running FreeBSD/amd64 8-STABLE (r250276) and, yesterday, updated
> www/rubygem-passenger from 3.0.19 to 4.0.5 via portmaster.  Although the
> port upgraded without error, the resultant Passenger no longer works: it
> complains it can't find "bash" and Rails apps won't spawn.
>
> I don't have shells/bash installed, and didn't need to with version 3.0.19
> of the www/rubygem-passenger port.  The shells/bash port isn't listed as a
> runtime dependency for www/rubygem-passenger in its Makefile, either.
>
> If I install shells/bash and also put a symlink from /usr/bin/bash to
> /usr/local/bin/bash then Passenger will run once again.  I don't like this
> solution, though.  Does anyone know of a way of running the Passenger
> 4.0.5 port without needing bash?
>
> I've included at the end a snippet from httpd-error.log showing the
> behaviour of the new Passenger 4.0.5 prior to the workaround I put in
> place mentioned in the preceding paragraph.

I think it only calls bash like that when it crashes, so that it can
generate a crash report of some kind and possibly submit it somewhere. As
far as the crash, I'm told it's a bug in our C++ stuff and that upgrading
to 9-STABLE should help, although I haven't had time to test that. If you
try that, please let us know how it goes.

Steve