Status of USE_GITHUB fetching

Bryan Drewery bdrewery at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 9 14:07:51 UTC 2013

On 6/9/2013 8:07 AM, Steve Wills wrote:
> On 06/07/13 22:32, Bryan Drewery wrote:
>> On 6/6/2013 8:26 AM, Bryan Drewery wrote:
>>> Ports using USE_GITHUB are currently broken. Github changed their
>>> tar/compression algorithm which has resulted in mismatched checksums.
>>>
>>> I am working on changing our implementation and updating all affected
>>> ports and should have the fix committed by this weekend, after enough
>>> testing.
>>>

>> Github fixed the checksums issue.
>>
>> You will see random 'size not known' warnings. These should be harmless.
>> It's due to how they have implemented their download streaming.
>>

> Are you saying this might happen once and be resolved or that it will be
> ongoing and not resolvable?

The size warnings (during fetch) will essentially always happen. The
checksumming/size checking after fetch is fine.

I really recommend all USE_GITHUB ports use a mirror as their default
MASTER_SITE and use the GH MASTER_SITE secondary. This will prevent
checksum errors in the future if they change things again, and avoid the
size warnings during fetch.

MASTER_SITES= http://some.mirror.com/ \
              GH

This will check the mirror first, then check github.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery