[HEADSUP] dialog4ports does not popup anymore only for global options

Tijl Coosemans tijl at coosemans.org
Fri Jun 7 13:30:30 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-07 13:40, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 12:46:08PM +0200, Tijl Coosemans wrote:

>>> You have no options and you never had one in the ports tree sorry.
>>>
>>> If you have a way to implement that cleanly, I'll be happy to push such features
>>> in the ports but really I see a way to do what you ask for.
>>
>> How about only suppressing the dialog if the options have been explicitly
>> set or unset in make.conf?
>
> That would be easy but is that a really desired feature?

I can only speak for myself, but I don't see DOCS as a global option.
For some ports I want documentation, for others I don't, so I want the
dialog to show up even if DOCS is the only option.

There doesn't seem to be a clear cut line between global and per port
options and different users have different opinions about it.

Can you make it such that config-conditional suppresses the dialog
if all options have been explicitly set or unset either through
command line, make.conf or optionsfile? Or in other words only show
the dialog if one of the options falls back to a default value (e.g.
when a new option has been added to a port and that option has not
been set globally).

I think that would allow anyone to set/unset any option globally and
not be bothered by dialogs without enforcing that view on everybody
else. You wouldn't need GLOBAL_OPTIONS any more then.