Ocaml ports needs love

Michael michipili at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 17:38:51 UTC 2013

Gabor Pali wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Michael <michipili at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it trivial to use the 1.0.0 port to build the version you are
>> referring to?
> OPAM does not need more just the vanilla OCaml compiler[…]
Well, thank you very much for your very detailed and useful answer!
>> I would like to start using opam on FreeBSD to find out how it could be
>> incorporated to ports system.
> I guess once the OPAM 1.0.1 is out and the corresponding FreeBSD port
> is updated, it will be okay.
I must confess, I put the words rather badly: I am curious about how to
take advantage of OPAM for maintaining OCaml related ports. The ideal
thing would be to have a `opam make-freebsd-port OPAMPACKAGE' subcommand
that would prepare a nice Makefile, pkg-descr, pkg-plist traid, ready to
plug in the ports hierarchy.

There is other language specific package managers—maybe Ruby GEMS and
Python EGGS, for instance—but I am not aware of how they interact with
the port system.

Regards,
Michael