Would software "for non-commercial use" be acceptable as a port?

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sun Jul 28 00:55:28 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 02:28:31AM +0200 I heard the voice of
Peter Looyenga, and lo! it spake thus:

> Am I right to conclude that the product, with the non-commercial
> clause I described above, could be a candidate for the ports
> collection or would the restriction be a huge obstacle?

There are a number of entries in ports/LEGAL along the lines of "no
commercial use", often with RESTRICTED or NO_CDROM or the like also
set in the ports' Makefile's.  Lots of examples to extrapolate from
there.  See also
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/porting-restrictions.html>

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net