Would software "for non-commercial use" be acceptable as a port?

Peter Looyenga pl at catslair.org
Sun Jul 28 00:37:11 UTC 2013

Hi gang,

I've been professionally using FreeBSD for quite some time now (my company
now uses 4 FreeBSD servers for web services) and during the implementation
period I've become quite fascinated with the ports system. And this evening
I suddenly had an idea, but I'm not too sure how feasible this idea is, so
I'm hoping some of you guys would be willing to give me some suggestions or
advice.

I've been using a commercial software product for the past 4 years now; I
started using it on Linux and nowadays I use it on Windows.

The company behind this product provides several editions of their product,
including a "community edition" which can be used free of charge but
non-commercial use only. It does have some functional limitations which, in
my opinion (but I am biased), aren't really intrusive. For example if you
print some output you'll get a watermark too. Stuff like that.

Even so; I strongly support this software. Like I said before I've been
using it myself for the past 4 years (in all fairness: I got myself a
commercial license too, which wasn't too expensive in my opinion) and even
now I'm still quite passionate about this stuff.

Now; I read that the ports collection provides a /truly/ free environment
and doesn't shun entries which may not match the idea of free and/or open
source software.

So my question should be obvious: Would I be right to assume that the
software product as I described it above could be a liable addition for the
ports collection, or is there something I'm overlooking?

Needless to say I'm obviously contacting the company behind it as well, I
can say I'm in quite good terms with them, and nothing will be done without
their explicit permission.

But before I start on such an endeavor I'd really appreciate if you guys
could confirm (or deny) if my plans are actually feasible?

Am I right to conclude that the product, with the non-commercial clause I
described above, could be a candidate for the ports collection or would the
restriction be a huge obstacle?

Thanks in advance for any comments, I'd really appreciate some advice and/or
comments here.

Kind regards,

Peter

--