ports creating files under /root - why?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Jul 19 17:55:11 UTC 2013

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

> I noticed that some ports create directories/files
> under /root:
>
> drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   512 Mar 19  2012 .subversion
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512 Mar  4 10:23 .qt
>
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512 Jul 10 15:27 .astkrc
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512 Jul 10 15:27 flasheur
> (these two are probably related to
> astk-client-1.11.0             cad/astk-client
> astk-serveur-1.11.0            cad/astk-serveur
> fr-aster-10.8.0.3              french/aster
> )
>
> # ls -al /root/.local/share/webkit/
> total 12
> drwx------  3 root  wheel  512 Jan  3  2013 .
> drwx------  3 root  wheel  512 Jan  3  2013 ..
> drwx------  2 root  wheel  512 Jan 30 01:45 icondatabase
> #
>
> I thought everything goes under /usr/local.
> Am I wrong?

Files installed when the port was installed, yes.  But many applications
create config and settings files when they are run, and those often go
in the user's home directory.

These all appear to be the second type.  To verify, delete them and
reinstall the port.  These files should not reappear until that
application is run while logged in as the root user.