port submission issues - sendmail setup

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jul 17 16:19:14 UTC 2013

On 17/07/2013 15:40, R Skinner wrote:
> This has been a real fiasco to send one around the bend.
>
> I'm trying to quickly submit a port and I used the send-pr this time and
> attached my shar as opposed to using the web form, except my sendmail is
> being rejected because it is a firewalled host and can't be found.
>
> So I spent several hours trying to get my head around sendmail and the
> security involved and setup the 'smart host' option. Eventually this
> worked, and sent to my mail gateway which is postfix.
>
> I then checked the pr list - still not there. So I checked the mailq on
> the gateway and it still says its looking for the firewalled host! Arrrgh!
>
> I'm not up to speed on sendmail at all, so can someone tell what potion
> I've got to pour into this thing so the send-pr will work correctly
> without opening any security flaws or access outside of 127.0.0.1?

Try this:

  # cd /etc/mail
  # make

This should create, inter alia, a file: ${hostname}.mc
Edit this file.  Find the line that reads:

dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `your.isp.mail.server')

Remove the four characters 'dnl ' from the beginning of the line, and
edit the text `your.isp.mail.server' to contain the hostname of your
smart mailer.  Note that the left- and right- hand quotes are different
there: that's a feature of m4(1), the language used in that file.

Save your edits.

(Assuming you have sendmail_outbound_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf)

Now run:

  # make all
  # make install
  # make restart

(Assuming you have sendmail_outbound_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf)

Any messages in the queue should be send pretty quickly after the
restart.  Watch /var/log/maillog to see what sendmail is doing. Or you
can force a queue run by:

  # /usr/sbin/sendmail -q -v

and you can examine the state of the queue by

  # mailq -v

This should work if your smart host will accept the message for
forwarding to the FreeBSD PR system without needing you to authenticate.
 If you do need to authenticate, well, it is certainly possible to
configure sendmail to do that, but that's almost certainly a lot more
work than you want to do just to submit a PR.  In this case, I think the
WWW interface is your best bet.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--