procenv port build issue

James Hunt james.hunt at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 16 11:11:17 UTC 2013

I recently updated the procenv [1] port to version 0.24 [2] which runs procenv
as part of the build. This is extremely useful since it allows the build
environment to be inspected which is useful in its own right, but also allows
FTBFS issues to be resolved by -- in theory -- looking at the procenv build
logs. We use this facility a lot in Ubuntu (see the links at the top of the page
in [1], or for a specific example see [3]).

However, what I'm seeing is that there is only a procenv-0.24 log file for amd64
on pointyhat [4] and that appears to show that procenv (which is run as the 2nd
and last 'make check' test) failed to exit (after a timeout of 2 hours?) and
consumed a lot of CPU time:

    root 38160 38134 23816 23816    0 RJ    -  129:52.90 ./procenv

The irony here is that I cannot see the procenv output to know what went wrong
;-) My local FreeBSD system is i386 and typically the port builds and runs
correctly in that environment. However, it does also build and run correctly on
kFreeBSD [5].

Can anyone help with these questions?:

- If 'make check' times out, should that not be considered a package build failure?

- Does anyone know when the procenv-0.24 build logs might appear for the other
architectures? this will help me identify if the issue is a generic one.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

James.

[1] - https://launchpad.net/procenv/