postmaster php55 left php5 stuff

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Fri Jul 12 11:50:20 UTC 2013

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 12:56:43 +0200
Alex Dupre articulated:

> Yes, there are 10 types of people in the world: who want php port
> always updated to the latest branch and who want a new set of phpXX
> ports for every branch.
> It's impossible to satisfy both types, unless we keep an additional
> set of 'php' ports with the same contents of latest 'phpXX' set.

While it may be impossible to completely satisfy both groups, it is
possible to reach a sensible compromise. Creating a new set of ports
for each major update of PHP will allow those who want to use the
latest version, no mater what the reason, the able to do so while
not causing the users of older versions any significant problem. It is
all ready being done with "bash". One maintainer is keeping the older
version "maintained" and updating it when ever he feels so inclined,
while another maintainer is keeping the port current. These two ports
are not causing any problems that I am aware of. I would suggest that a
similar plan be instituted for ports that exhibit these same traits.

REF:

Port:   bash-4.2.45
Port:   bash-static-4.2.45
Maint:  obrien at FreeBSD.org