pkgng behaviour change (upgrade -f and version)

bw.mail.lists bw.mail.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 08:16:49 UTC 2013

I'm not sure when it happened, I think since latest pkgng upgrade,
version 1.1.3, but pkgng now acts differently in at least two cases.

1. pkg upgrade -f
What happens:

-----------------
/root # pkg upgrade -f
Updating repository catalogue
New version of pkg detected; it needs to be installed first.
After this upgrade it is recommended that you do a full upgrade using:
'pkg upgrade'

Uprgades have been requested for the following 1 packages:

         Reinstalling pkg-1.1.3_1

0 B to be downloaded

Proceed with upgrading packages [y/N]: n
-----------------

What I expected to happen (man page quote):
-f  Force reinstalling/upgrading the whole set of packages

Problem:
Not sure how to upgrade everything now.

2. pkg version
What happens:

-----
/root # pkg version -vRL=
Updating repository catalogue
/root #
-----

What I expected to happen:

-----
/root # pkg version -vRL=
/root #
-----

Problem:
I have this in crontab:

pkg update -q && pkg version -vRL=

Previously I would get no email unless updates are needed. Now I get
emails about updating catalogue repository. Passing -q to 'pkg version'
doesn't suppress the message either. I'm not sure what -q would
suppress, but I don't think I want it, I was fine with the way it was
before. I can 'grep -v' that line out, but I assume that's not the
intended behavior, is it?