Problems with GITHUB pulls

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 30 03:29:43 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:10:13PM -0500, Wesley Shields wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 03:24:31PM -0600, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> > I maintain the security/barnyard2 port.  It pulls the software from git,
> > which is the only place where it's available.
> >
> > Here's the relevant portion of the port's Makefile:
> >
> > USE_GITHUB=     yes
> > GH_ACCOUNT=     firnsy
> > GH_PROJECT=     ${PORTNAME}
> > GH_TAGNAME=     master
> > GH_COMMIT=     4dfdc80
> >
> > The problem is, master's commit tag and md5 sum and size have changed.  I
> > *could* update the port by changing the commit tag and the distino file,
> > but that's seems rather kludgy to me.  The version hasn't changed.  The
> > developers simply fixed some problems in the software and then bumped
> > master to the newer commit.
>
> The point of GH_COMMIT is to checkout a specific commit. I think you
> don't need GH_TAGNAME set here as that is probably overriding the
> desired behavior (and always fetching the latest from master). For an
> idea of how to fetch a specific commit from git check out devel/libhtp.

I think I might have completely misspoken here. What's happening is you
are fetching master at the appropriate commit, but distinfo is getting
the filename with the DISTVERSION string in it. When you update to the
next commit the DISTVERSION isn't changing and thus distinfo is now out
of date.

The best way to approach this is as was suggested by someone else. Get
upstream to tag releases and use those. The way you are doing it you
will have to set a PORTVERSION that is not accurate at all and bump
PORTREVISION everytime you update.

The devel/libhtp port is using a very old tag because upstream has not
tagged a new version in the last 7 months and I don't want to end up in
the situation you are experiencing.

-- WXS