Updating ports with portmaster after two month "vacation"

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Jan 28 21:41:44 UTC 2013

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Edwin L. Culp W. wrote:

> I have not updated all my ports since the end of Noviember.
>
> I am still using cvsup to update the machine daily and have, what I hope
> is, an uptodate kernel and all programes.
>
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD home.encontacto.net 9.1-STABLE FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE #391 r229960M:
> Sat Jan 26 05:06:18 CST 2013
> root at home.encontacto.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ENCONTACTO
> amd64
>
> The first strange thing that I notice is:
>
> #  portversion -v portmaster
> [Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... USING PKGNG
> - 959 packages found (-2 +3) (...)... done]
> USING PKGNG
> portmaster-3.14_8           >  succeeds port (port has 3.11)

A. The security problem caused a lot of files to not be rebuilt for a
while.  One of those was the INDEX file, which should be back to normal
now.

B. portversion is a program that is included with portupgrade.  It may
not show accurate results until you have run pkgdb -Fu, another
portupgrade program.  Or just switch to using portmaster entirely.

> # portmaster -a

Did you check /usr/ports/UPDATING first, and do all the things that
applied to that system?

> ===>>> The ports-mgmt/portmanager port has been deleted: Has expired: Does
> not support modern ports features such as MOVED, is lacking upstream and
> active contributions, and does not support pkgng.  Consider using
> ports-mgmt/portmaster, ports-mgmt/portupgrade or pkgng
> ===>>> Aborting update
>
> I can't understand the relationship to portupgrade.

There is no relation.  You have at least three different upgrade
programs installed.  One was deleted as obsolete (portmanager), and the
message recommends switching to one of the others.