Cronjob Cvsup -> What?

Jeffrey Bouquet jeffreybouquet at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 22:21:01 UTC 2013

>Thomas Mueller wrote:> I've always used "portsnap fetch update" after the initial "portsnap> fetch" and "portsnap extract".  What would be the adverse side effect> of using svn instead?In general it's best to avoid mixing update tools unless you fullyunderstand all the corner cases and know it's safe. The most significant  problem is they can lose track of what filesneed to be deleted, which can lead to obsolete patch files being leftin the tree. One of the functions of "portsnap extract" is to eliminateextra files in port directories to avoid this >problem.
Svn has a a few drawbacks vs csup (space required, longer backups without
- .svn   # or equiv
in an exclude file, maybe others...)

however it may be more advantageous if one understands its use cases and the
consequences of each one.  Someone would someday maybe be resourceful
enough to write one up and post it somewhere in a flowchart...
(the "revert" "up" "svnweb"
script -a a.log svn up /usr/ports
(the intitial creation of it with the long CLI in the forum...)
# port # svn revert Makefile
# port # svn -R revert .
# svn up /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayerxp
.... etc etc...
As a newbie, those are all I know so far .  And one can use workarounds if
a disk is short on space,
mount -t ufs -o union(fs) /dev/da0 /usr
and even
svn -up /usr/ports   # after it mounts correctly
... to update the thumbdrive before port updates on the low-disk-space machine.
(that is the procedure as I recollect it anyway.  Something could be slightly
different.)
(if /ports in on the thumbdrive)  (that syntax is probably correct, but I am at another CPU and cannot check it right away.)

J. Bouquet
(Sorry for the post formatting and any typos...)