sysutils/pacman: use in FreeBSD?

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 26 12:09:07 UTC 2013

>From my previous message:

I see to my surprise, in http://www.freshports.org/commits.php ,
that pacman from Archlinux has just been ported to FreeBSD.

But how would pacman be used in FreeBSD, considering we already have ports
and pkgng?  Would pacman in FreeBSD be only for binary packages, or would it
be used with Arch Build System to build packages from source as is done with
FreeBSD ports and NetBSD pkgsrc?

Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru> responded:

> First, it can install ArchBSD (http://www.archbsd.net/) packages.
> These are created from FreeBSD ports, so it may be used as another
> binary package manager for FreeBSD. That seems quite useful to me
> for setting up jails, as world is just a package there and thus the
> installation is much simpler.

> Second, it may be used to install original Arch linux packages,
> letting you setup and manage another kind of linux environement on
> FreeBSD. Hower on practice because of our outdated linuxulator it
> won't work as it won't run recent linux binaries. I hope this will
> be fixed in future.

I browsed http://www.archbsd.net/ .

It looks like that web site and the ArchBSD project are in an early stage,
not yet suitable to download and install.  No Arch Build System, at least
not yet.

I didn't have much luck running anything Linux from either FreeBSD or NetBSD.
OpenBSD can't read anything on my hard drive, neither can DragonFlyBSD,
although DragonFlyBSD can see my hard drive partition structure, which
OpenBSD can't.

Tom