Adding remote debugging to tomcat7

David Demelier demelier.david at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 06:58:04 UTC 2013

Hello there,

Sorry for cross posting, I'm not on the freebsd-java list.

I would like to enable remote debugging to tomcat, as seen here
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Developing#Q1 it is said to add the
following options to the JVM :

-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=n

So I have added to the rc.conf

tomcat7_enable="YES"
tomcat7_java_opts="-XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Xdebug
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=n"

Note that the first option is only to prevent a PermGen out of space
error. With that setup, tomcat fails to starts with:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/tomcat7: WARNING: failed to start tomcat7

And in the tomcat logs:

NPT ERROR: Cannot open library
Service exit with a return value of 1

I am using tomcat-7.0.34 on FreeBSD 9-STABLE amd64.

Cheers,